September marks the One Year Anniversary of Zak working with Hungry for Life. It's hard to believe that it has already been a year since Zak was able to start working with HFL.
It's amazing how time flies...especially when there is so much joy in the work that you are doing.
When Zak and I got married almost 4 years ago, he was working for a company called Backcountry.com. Most of you probably have heard of it, and if not, you have probably saved a lot of money - heaven knows we would have! HA! Zak never intended for Backcountry to be the end of the career road for himself, but it's hard to imagine doing what you're passionate about if you don't know how to get there....especially when that passion doesn't come with a large paycheck.
Most people can do a job, work everyday, not necessarily enjoy what they do and just get on with life. My dad is like that. He will tell you, his passion is not embroidery - but embroidery is what pays the bills.
Unfortunately (or fortunately? I haven't quite decided yet...) my husband is not that way. If he is not passionate about something, he has a hard time motivating himself to do it. On the flip side, if he is passionate, you will have a hard time motivating him not to do it.
Since Zak started working part time with Hungry for Life a year ago this month, I have seen a light in him that I wasn't sure existed. After so many years of seeing him discouraged at Backcountry, I just didn't know if he was just an unenthusiastic kind of guy....but I have found quite the opposite is true!
This first time he went on a trip with HFL, it was to Guatemala. He came home and his first words were, "I can't wait to take you there with me. I have to take you there with me." The following year, when he was asked to lead the trip as the HFL representative, he jumped on it without a second thought. He managed every detail with more care and attention than I even knew was possible. And every moment with Hungry for Life since then has been more of the same.
I went with him a couple of weeks ago to a Team Meeting - he will be leading a trip down to Haiti in January with Alpine Church - and I sat in awe as he strategically and confidently moved through the material with the team.
I watch him diligently at his computer every week, hour after hour, mapping out projects, emailing field partners and faculty, getting his questions answered and learning to do his job to the absolute best of his ability. I see him calling people and trying to make appointments so that we can raise our support and do more with Hungry for Life.
But the thing I love the most, is that I see joy and passion and hope in what he is doing. I see that his diligence does not come from duty, but from a belief that every word he types, every project he organizes, is not only meeting the needs of people around the world, but it is spreading the light of Christ to the nations.
I am so blessed to be married to a man so passionate about Christ. I am blessed to be able to see the amazing things Hungry for Life does around the world. And I have the priveledge to be a part of it.
Happy One Year Anniversary, HFL. Here is to, God-willing, many many more!
------
If you are interested in hearing more about Hungry for Life or how to support us prayerfully or financially, please email me at tracylynnharris86@gmail.com or Zak at zak.harris@hflusa.org or visit our website: www.zakharris.org

No comments:
Post a Comment